As a reminder, trick words are words that are phonetically irregular; they do not follow conventional spelling rules. Children need to memorize the spelling of these words. They cannot be tapped or sounded out.
Save this idea list to use all year. These are ideas for you to practice at home. We will do periodic check-ins with these words at school.
Spelling Practice Activities
1. Play “Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check.”
2. Make flash cards for each word.
3. Write your words 3 times each.
4. Write out each word on sticky notes/cut up index cards (one letter on each card). Mix up the letters and then fix the spelling.
5. Spell out your words with Scrabble/Magnetic letters.
6. Make word puzzles with graph paper (one letter in each box, sky and worm letters in two boxes.)
7. Go to http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com/index.html and use your words to create and solve a puzzle of your choice.
8. Write your words in shaving cream, sand, with sidewalk chalk, etc.
9. Practice typing your words.
10. Make spelling pyramids. Example: t
11. Take a practice spelling test.
12. Create your own activity.